Kena Shrine Band Unit
The Band is able to provide quality musical entertainment to members of senior organizations and residents of nursing care centers and assisted living facilities throughout the VA, MD, and DC area. In addition the band is fully supportive of Kena events playing at Installations, Family Picnic, Parades, and other activities as requested by the Potentate.
Rehearsals are the first Tuesday beginning at 7:00 pm (or as called by the President) in the Band Room located in the Kena Anek building.
The Band plays, on average, 2 to 3 concerts every month in and around the Manassas area.
As the Band’s motto states; the Band supports the Shriners Hospitals for Children by “playing so that children can”.
The Band has no dues. Please come an join us!
Please contact the President, Noble Roland Hassebrock @ 703-335-5145.
Kena Shrine Band History
History 1951 - 2001
The Kena Temple Shrine Band is one of the units of Kena Temple. The Band is also a charter member of the Temple. Kena received its charter dispensation from the Imperial Council Session on July 13, 1951.
It should be noted that the Kena Band was organized and in existence prior to the activation of the Kena Temple as a part of the local Shrine club of ACCA Temple (Richmond). The Band is the second oldest unit while the Arab Patrol is actually the oldest. Noble Harry Carlock was the first President, the Secretary was Noble Earl Sullivan, the Treasurer was Nobel Julius Firestone and first Director was Noble John Tilley.
Upon receipt of the charter, the Band had thirty-five (35) members, fully equipped, with uniforms and all. The basic mission of the Band is to provide music for Temple functions and activities as requested by the Illustrious Potentate. The Band also provides music for Nursing homes, Retirement homes, etc., as a community service.
In the beginning, the Band started out as a marching unit and participated in numerous civic parades, including SASA, MASA, and others as requested by the Illustrious Potentate. The Band holds rehearsals on each Tuesday evening from 8:00 to 10:00 pm. Prior to acquiring the Mosque, the Band conducted rehearsals at the old “farm”, a property (old residence) near Hammond High School in Alexandria. Until Kena acquired the current site and put up a building, the Band rehearsed in church basements and other locations.
The Band was fortunate to receive a gift of over 1200 pieces of music. It has been catalogued and filed so as to be readily accessible. It allowed the Band to establish an extensive library and permits the Band to play a wide variety of music. The Band started out as a Marching Band, but passage of time has taken its toll. Many members are unable to parade. As a result, a trailer and a car (1985) to pull it were acquired to allow the Band to Parade as a riding unit.
One of the Band members, namely, Noble Reynold J. Matthews, a past President, was elected to the Divan as Oriental Guide in 1983 and went on to become the Illustrious Potentate in 1987.