Kena Golf Club History
On August 18, 1956 at Goose Creek Country Club, the Kena Golf Club was organized with Arthur Armstrong as it chairman. William D. Seal served as Treasurer.
The first President of the Golf Club was Ill. George “Goldie” Yeatman, Past Potenate; he served a two-year term. The early days, 1957, found the golfers traveling to other Oasis to play challenge matches. One of the firsts was to East Potomac Park to defeat Almas, 11-8, followed by dinner at Almas’ Sphinx Club. They also traveled to Philadelphia; to play in the annual tournament sponsored by LuLu. Hunt Valley Country Club in Maryland was the sight of matches with Boumni. The early years found the wives joining the golfers at various Country Clubs to enjoy swimming, gin rummy, bridge and horseshoes. The evenings were climaxed with cocktails and dinner.
In 1959 there was the boat ride from Baltimore (Boumi and Zembo) to Norfolk to participate in a tournament at Princess Anne Country Club with Khedive.
There were annual events in conjunction with Almas Temple, played at Argyle Country Club, Brooke Manor, Belle Haven Country, Indian Springs Country Club, Crofton, and Prince George’s Country Club. The infant years of the Golf Club went from playing once a month with most of the events being held at Country Clubs, to playing as many as fourteen times a season, every other week from April into November.
There have been Tournaments of the Virginia Temples, starting in 1976 and continuing through 1990. There were years when the four temples held two tournaments in a given golf season. The tournaments have been held in the four corners of the state.
Ladies have played an important role in the club over years when they have taken part at ladies days at various outings and the Annual Ladies Night in November. The Ladies Night has been historically the Annual Election of Officers for the next Golf Season. Ladies Night had been held at various locations including Ft. Meyer, Army-Navy Country Club, P.J. Skidoos in Fairfax and at Kena Shrine Center.
During the years when there were fewer events, each tournament was hosted or sponsored by an individual (Potentate’s Trophy) or a group (Past Presidents Trophy). The various location clubs, Winchester, Leesburg and Manassas-Warrenton Shrine Clubs have hosted annual Tournaments. It was customarily to present trophies for Low Gross, Low Net and Low Putts. In the late nineties more useful prizes were presented.
1997 Ill. Jerry Oliver started the Annual Temple Fund Raising Tournaments. The First two were at Ft. Belvoir. Then the 1999 event was moved to Westpark in Leesburg. In 2000 a second event was added. The Spring Tournament was held at Bowling Green North Course and the Fall Tournament at South Wales. Fairfax National and Bowling Green South Course were the sights of the 2001 events.
Grand Masters who are members of Kena and have played with the Club are Most Worshipful Charles Wallace and George Chapin. In 1980 Kena hosted the Grand Master’s Tournament at Cedarcrest Country Club. Grand Master Most Worshipful Oscar Tate won the longest drive award.
Many Past Potentate’s names appear in the archives of the Golf Club, “Doc” William Meyer, Orville Rush, “Goldie” Yeatman, Harry Bendall, Don Black, Austin Edison, Bill Beverly, Henry Davis, Cecil Sills, Bobby Lawhorn, Gordon Thomson, “Tex” Vandiver, Dan Levin, Skip Hamilton, Wayne Morefield, Joe Wileman and Ron Ashby, and our current Potentate Ill. Bob Bateman.
Three of the Temple’s Recorders, Ken Graham, Carl Sandidge and Tom Loftis have all been active members of the duffers and hackers.